Saturday, June 25, 2011

Wat Opot sky

I had published this post in May, but it was deleted the day after by blogspot for reasons unknown.  Let me try this again...

I absolutely love the Wat Opot campus.  There are banana, coconut, and mango trees, fish ponds filled with lotus flowers and lily pads, and bushes filled with purple and white flowers.  The landscape is made even more beautiful with the sky as a backdrop.  The sunsets are like no other.  The sky fills with brilliant colors that unfortunately no camera seems to adequately capture.  The following picture is the luckiest I've gotten with my camera.  It's a gorgeous shot but still does not do justice to the sunset in person.


The rainy season has begun, and with it comes changes to all scenery at Wat Opot.  Brown rice fields slowly turn green again, bushes and grass come alive, flowers bloom, and theres an abundance of semi-naked children running around enjoying the showers and the mud that comes along with them.  My favorite time of the rainy season (if Im not out playing in the rain with the kids) is just after the rains stop.  There might be a rainbow, especially clear stars at night, or a special glow of color.  After the last rain, the sky turned a radiant pink, unlike anything I have ever seen before.  It was truly amazing and I was in awe.  These two pictures are a comparison: the first is the average view from our front door, the second is the incredible pink.  Neither picture were altered or edited in any way, and were taken at the same time of day two days apart.




Like the sunset photograph, this shot is beautiful but doesn't do it justice.  The entire grounds were lit up in a glowing pink and it lasted about an hour.  I don't think anyone else was as excited about it as I was (like Caroline who I showed the picture to at least 10 times...) but it was captivating.  I can't wait to see what else the rains will bring and watch Cambodia transition from the brown dry season to a beautiful green.

No comments:

Post a Comment