Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A picture's worth 1000 words

The month of June has disappeared before my eyes so far between my dear friend Cora Marshall arriving in Cambodia on the 3rd and the typhoid fever outbreak that has hit 12 of our kids and counting in the past few weeks.  The unpredictability of Wat Opot is one of the things I love most about it.  Every morning that I wake up, I have absolutely no idea what will happen that day.  Every time I leave the volunteer house or turn a corner theres a new injury, a new game, a new animal, or a new discovery.  The other day on my way to making a house call to insert an IV, I saw a child chasing a turkey chasing a moto, followed by some little ones eating insects, settled an argument between two girls over which Korean music video was better, was offered a stuffed frog as a snack, was approached by Thy who had just lost a toe nail and needed help, and got a bear hug from little 2 year old Ratana.  All in about 4 minutes.  Not to sound cliche but there is literally never a dull moment.

Swimming in the pond is a daily event for the kids trying to stay cool in the heat, but even something as ordinary as floating in the pond can lead to something unexpected.  When Ty Meng was swimming in the pond doing flips and handstands, she, like all the others who swim, demanded attention.  "KAT ONE MORE, KAT ONE MORE" they yell constantly, especially when I have my camera out.  Ty Meng wanted a picture of her doing a front flip in the water so I was there to capture it.  Later when looking through my pictures I did a double take at one that at first glance looked like a miss that would be deleted.  What I found was Ty Meng declaring her love for Wat Opot.  Her butt makes a perfect heart and it's too funny not to share.  This is Wat Opot at it's finest: a simple event made extraordinary, an unexpected result, a surprise, and another reason to love these crazy kids and this crazy place.  Ty Meng loves Wat Opot, and so do I.

1 comment:

  1. Kate that is hysterical! I am so glad that you are there making a difference in these kid's lives.

    ReplyDelete