Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Phnom Chisor

March has arrived! I'm anxiously waiting to make my big return to Wat Opot, and am looking through pictures nonstop getting more and more excited. One album I just rediscovered was our trip to Phnom Chisor back in November. Olivia, a volunteer from Switzerland, Chihomi, a volunteer from Japan, and I took about 25 of the kids to Mountain (or Phnom) Chisor which is about a 45 minute walk from the main campus. On the top there are ancient ruins, vendors, lots of trouble for kids to get into, and wild monkeys. Everyone was so excited about it, especially the little ones and we had such a fun day :)



We passed by this beautiful little home in a village on the way to the mountain.


Samrat and the boys. On the way we practiced Khmer and English with each other and they tried to trick me into saying naughty things. Good thing Chihomi picked up Khmer very very well and saved me. They're all wearing long sleeves and it was so hot!! I kept asking if they were okay, but they insisted they were comfortable. By the time we came down, however, I ended up carrying an armful of sweatshirts while their eyes were peeled for a stream to jump into.

A bunch of the kids (and me somewhere in there) once we got to the top. They were already exhausted but still excited to play around in the ruins.

Exploring!

Chihomi! I miss her so much :(

Taking a rest on the ruins. Some are still smiling, but most of the kids were wiped at this point. I was too, those 500-ish steps to the top were a lot for someone who was totally out of shape!

LongDy checking out the view. He's also recovering from a scary run-in with a monkey. I got it on video but no pictures.

Chaney! So sweet :)

Olivia, Mr. Chai, and me.

Some of the ruins overlooking the view

We stopped for a hammock break before making the descent down and the long walk home!



On the way there, everyone was in groups and happy and laughing, and jumping on each other. On the way back they're in a single file line, no words, no smiles... miserably tired :(

Long Dy rode his bike back with some of the little ones, and recruited other big kids to come back with bikes and motos to scoop up the others.

Vandy and I brought up the rear, making sure everyone was accounted for. We took our sweet time getting back. It was a looooong trip home!

I'm looking forward to many more trips to Phnom Chisor, especially with Cora Marshall my very close friend from home who is coming to Wat Opot to teach for 2 months :) I couldn't be happier about her decision to join me and the Wat Opot family this summer!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment