Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Back in the US

So much for me making up for my lack of posts! Another 3 months have passed since I said I'd be better with blogging.. oops.

I flew back to Maryland Thanksgiving week and plan on being here until early March then back to WAT OPOT :) While home Im taking NCLEX, working temporary jobs to make enough money to go back, and doing a little fundraising. In October, Wat Opot had a special guest- Fiona Newsome from New Zealand. She came for the 4th year in a row bringing donated beads and materials, and made jewelry. All of the kids participated in the jewelry making which she started doing as a way to bring art therapy to the children while providing a means to make money for the community. The little kids strung beads which hangs on an "Up and Coming Artist" board, and the older kids made incredible pieces with every detail handmade, even each link. The jewelry is sold to small business in Cambodia and a display hangs in the craft room where Wat Opot volunteers can purchase accessories, with all of the money going to the children's education. A portion of the money will go back into the craft room to buy more materials and fuel the program. The children benefit so much from the therapy aspect. They are so proud of their work and gain much confidence from accomplishing, even something as small as a beaded bracelet. I decided to take a bunch back to the US to sell and see how much I could raise. Im happy to report that I turned $320 worth of Wat Opot original jewelry into almost $900! With 4 kids in University, this $900 will be vital. Thank you to everyone who purchased jewelry from me. There are still necklaces, bracelets, and earrings left over if anyone is interested!

Baby Ratana helps to clean up the craft room.


Here is a link to Melinda's blog post that explains more about Fiona and her work benefitting Wat Opot: http://www.melindakaylivesfaraway.com/2010/10/princess-fiona.html

I've been so touched by the support of family and friends as I make my way back to Cambodia. Special thanks go to Caleb Griffin who made an extremely generous donation, and Ms. Abigail Anders my 10 year old best friend who asked family and friends to donate money to Wat Opot instead of giving her Christmas presents this year. Thank you also to Dan, the best big brother in the world, who is doing way more to help me out than he would ever take credit for!

I miss the kids terribly, but skype and email have allowed me to stay in touch with the older kids and I look forward to my daily email from Vandy :)

Now lets see how long I go until another one of these...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Kat for all you have done for us. We look forward to having you back.

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see you here Kate!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete