I have been so touched by the amazing support and generosity of my family and friends at home. You all have helped me to raise so much money for Wat Opot and bring them so many new clothes, toys, education material, medicine and hygiene supplies, and fun activities. Most recently, my neighbor Elaine Falk and a small group of women from her church have been working on dresses for the little girls. Before they arrived, Elaine explained to me that they were made from pillowcases but I had no idea what to expect. What came were nine absolutely gorgeous dresses in different patterns and colors. I was so excited to give them to the girls, but wasn't sure how to do it. Wat Opot kids play HARD. Their play clothes are dirty and torn, and though we change them out as needed, it doesn't take long for a new shirt to be fully worn in.
The new volunteer dorm is finished and the girls officially moved into their new home in the middle of campus last night. I held onto the dresses to give out in celebration of their new space. Last night we had a little slumber party and I told the little girls I had a surprise for them, something they could only wear each night after they bathed. After 6 rushed bucket showers, they were ready for their treat! I laid the dresses out and each girl got to pick which dress they wanted. The whole time they were giggling and jumping up and down, just beyond elated for their new beautiful dresses! Elaine said she wanted to make them feel like princesses, and they certainly did!
 |
| Kimseck, Venot, Kunthea, Srey Mao, Srey Nak, Channy |
 |
| Srey Leak modeling |
Initially I assumed the dresses would only be for the little ones. Srey Leak sleeps on the little girls side of the house, so she got to have the last dress left. Because of the adjustable straps, they fit the girls of all sizes, even the teens. The other teens were kind of jealous! They all want one now too, and were happy to learn that Elaine and her friends are making and sending more.
The little girls went nuts in excitement! It was so beautiful to see them so happy :) They couldn't contain themselves and jumped all over each other until I left to go back to my own room.
 |
| Venot is quite the tomboy. Even SHE loved the dresses, which is really saying something! |
 |
| I love them so much I can't stand it! |
 |
Little Ratana was already asleep, but she'll get to wear hers tonight!
|
Thank you Elaine and those who helped make these little dresses :) What a special treat for these beautiful little ladies!
oh. my. gosh. I am dying all over this post. these are the most adorable little dresses ever!!! All our little babiesss look so freaking cute. ahhhH!
ReplyDelete