Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Little boy in the big city

To his Wat Opot family, little Virak is perfect.  He is sweet, well-mannered, and just so damn cute.  Virak is definitely one of the kids that touches every single person who passes through.  Volunteers and visitors learn his name early and remember him long after they leave.  In my first visit to Wat Opot last summer, 2 weeks that changed the entire course of my life, I myself wrote about the first child I met: Virak.  In that first post of many many on Wat Opot, I tell Virak's story, about how his grandmother carried him around so long when he was small that he never learned to walk until he was 3.  He's come such a long way since then, running and playing like everyone else, but his feet are very turned out and flat.  On a mission to do something for him, I first took him to a physical therapy center near where Virak goes for his HIV medication in Takeo.  They explained to me that because of the way his joints and muscles formed, he would have a lifetime of pain in his ankles and knees.  There was nothing, however, that they were able to offer in terms of treatment or therapy.  No exercises to improve his gait, no supportive shoes or braces, nothing at all that would help him.

I shared my frustrations with Caroline, who referred us to an NGO in Phnom Penh that does orthopedic work free for Khmer children.  Eager to find more answers, I took Virak into the big city this week for a consultation.  We set off in a tuktuk with Lindsay, an American visiting Wat Opot for a month on her trip around the world, and what an epic journey for Virak it was.



Virak gets to ride in tuktuks every month when he goes to the HIV clinic in Takeo for a group checkup and medication refill, but never does he get to sprawl out and have all of the attention to himself.  He was so excited, watching every car and motorbike, and inspecting all of the people we passed.  Once we got into Phnom Penh he was in awe.  So many people with so much going on.  As a special treat he got to bring 4 matchbox cars and he clutched them tightly as we drove through the busy city.

When we arrived at the clinic in Phnom Penh, Virak had an exam and we met the head surgeon.  Just like when I took Kunthea to the hospital, everyone thought Virak was my son.  According to everyone in the waiting room we look "same same" and I am a good mother.  Also just like with Kunthea, I gave up early, just smiled and thanked them.  As much fun as we had on the way there and waiting, the consultation was anti-climatic.  The doctor had no more to offer than the clinic in Takeo.  They said there was nothing they could do for him.   So back to square one.  I'm not sure exactly what I was hoping for, but any advice or help would be better than to be turned away twice.  I guess for now we'll try to find him some supportive shoes or trainers.  If anyone reading this has any physical therapy expertise with any advice, I'll take anything!  It's just so frustrating to hear he'll just have to deal with it... doesn't he already have enough to deal with?!

Not letting the disappointment ruin our big trip, we still managed to have a few more adventures that afternoon.  Virak, Lindsay, and I went to lunch at a restaurant in the expat area of Phnom Penh and he had a great time.


Between coloring and playing with his cars, he was loving life.  I wasn't sure about what he would eat as it was a western restaurant with no Khmer food, so we ordered him what all kids love- chicken nuggets and french fries.  He wasn't sure at first, and was slow to bite the chicken, but once he realized he loved it Virak  just shoveled it in!  Of course no Khmer meal is complete without rice, and the server brought him a big plate of it to go with his nuggets and fries.  Virak also got fresh coconut juice, so fresh he was served the whole coconut.  It was bigger than him and he loved it.

Looking over his whole spread
The servers LOVED him, and ours got down on the ground to play cars
After we ate, we ran a few other errands.  Virak was so well-behaved and everyone loved him wherever we went.  With no time to nap and so many things going on, he was wiped out on the tuktuk ride home in the late afternoon.
Sleeeeeepy
BIG yawn
Lindsay with a passed out Virak
Even though we didn't get answers we were looking for, I was glad to give Virak a special day alone.  With 54 brothers and sisters it's important to give kids time alone to be center of attention.  As far as his feet go, we'll just have to see what happens as time develops and hope for the best!


All of us are having trouble getting on blogspot, both logging in and viewing other peoples blogs.   My posts may  become farther between but I hope to keep updating regularly.

COUNTDOWN: 3 days until my very dear friend Cora arrives in Cambodia for 2 months!!  I am so excited :)  Have a safe trip Cora, can't wait to have you here with us!  XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment